Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm feeling sorry for myself today.



post signature


My grandfather had heart surgery on Wednesday. He's a very stong man, yet he has been livng with type 1 diabetes, insulin-dependent. In his older years the side effects of diabetes have gotten worse.
He was feeling sick, cold like symptoms, when he stopped eating and just didn't feel right so my mother and her family decided to take him to the hospital last week.
Many tests later they realized he had at least 4 blocked arteries and needed to have open heart surgery. They operated on him Wednesday. He did very well. They ended up having to unclog 5 arteries! The doctor later said he operated on a 52 year old man a couple of weeks ago that wasn't making as much progress as my grandfather (he's 74). It was a rough week for my grandfather, grandmother, my mother, and all his children.
What I learned out of this situation is that God is great. He is there for us when we need Him. We are His faithful servents and He will not abandon us in times like this.
I also can't help but reevaluate my health issues. I don't understand that out of 8 children and 23 grandchildren I had to be the one to have diabetes. ONLY ME!!
I've been ignoring it for the past year. I was diagnosed in July of 2007. I started excercising and paying attention to what I ate for a few months and then stopped everything and ignored it.
I haven't been feeling well and have been checking my levels and they just don't seem to go down even with starting my medicine again. Oh...and my husand has it was well. Today's not a good day. I'm going to spend my evening tonight reading and researching.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Hope you feel better, sending prayers your way! If you need anything let me know.

Kim said...

Try not to focus on the negative side. Think that you're still young and it's totally managable. It may even disappear alltogether one day. It sucks not being 100% healthy but it is what you make of it. ykwim? Our gene pool suuucks. Lactose intolerance, IBD, high blood pressure & cholesterol, diabetes....wtf?